Coconut milk is creamy and delicious, so it makes sense as the centerpiece of a latte. And you don’t have to seek out a specialty coffee shop to get one! Coconut milk lattes are surprisingly easy and affordable to make at home — not to mention highly tasty.
Here’s our simple coconut milk latte recipe, including easy steps and a few handy brewing tips. Want to spice things up or make your own coconut milk? Scroll down to learn more!
Why use coconut milk in lattes?
Coconut milk is a popular non-dairy, vegan milk alternative, which is why many people love it in their lattes. It’s also ketogenic, meaning high in fat and low in carbs, so it fits into a keto diet. Beyond diet preferences, coconut milk is creamy and smooth, with just a little coconut flavor. It’s easy to heat and froth, and the lattes turn out pretty darn delicious. One thing to keep in mind, though: coconut milk is very high in calories. Try oat or almond milk if you’re looking for a low-calorie milk option!
Easy Coconut Milk Latte
- Stovetop pan or jar and microwave
- Coffee mug
- 2 ounces espresso or 6 ounces strong brewed coffee
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- Brown sugar or maple syrup to taste
- Sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa powder optional
- Heat the coconut milk and sweetener in a pan on the stove or an unlidded mason jar. On the stove, this takes about 5 minutes, and in the microwave, about 20 seconds.
- While the coconut milk is heating, make your espresso or brewed coffee. If you’re using brewed coffee, make sure it’s extra strong.
- Froth the coconut milk by shaking it in a mason jar or using a whisk.
- Pour the espresso into your coffee mug and top with the hot, frothy coconut milk. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa powder and enjoy!
Coconut Milk Latte Variations
Tired of the basic coconut milk latte? We have lots of suggestions for spicing up your homemade drink!
Adding something sweet to your coconut milk latte is completely optional, but we find that it rounds out the flavor nicely. Try a spoonful of brown sugar, maple syrup, or agave for simple, tasty sweetness. If you’re not vegan, honey also makes a delicious addition!
Want to turn your coconut milk latte into a vanilla or peppermint latte? No problem! Just add a splash of vanilla, hazelnut, or mint extract. You can turn it into a caramel latte with a splash of caramel coffee syrup, or stir in cocoa powder to make a creamy mocha. Or mix in cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, or even dried lavender for an herbal or spiced treat. No matter what your favorite latte flavors are, you can incorporate them into a coconut milk version.
Homemade Coconut Milk
Don’t want to use canned or refrigerated coconut milk? You can make it at home! All you have to do is blend shredded coconut and water. Then strain the mixture using a thin cloth or nut milk bag. Seriously, that’s it! See the full recipe here.
Time to start brewing! We hope this recipe helps you whip up the vegan coconut milk latte of your dreams. The rich, complex espresso balances perfectly with the creamy, frothy coconut milk — and a sprinkle of cinnamon never hurts. Enjoy your easy, delicious latte.