Brown sugar is the less refined cousin of classic white sugar, and beyond being sweet, it adds a bit of extra flavor to your coffee. If you like your lattes slightly sweet, brown sugar is a great option.
Here’s our easy recipe for a delicious brown sugar latte, featuring cinnamon, vanilla, and creamy steamed milk!
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Latte
- Small saucepan
- Whisk or mason jar
- Espresso or coffee maker
- Large coffee mug
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Latte
- 2 shots espresso or ½ cup strong coffee
- 8 ounces milk any kind
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon brown sugar syrup
- Ground cinnamon optional garnish
- Make the cinnamon brown sugar syrup. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, and water in a small saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Then let the syrup cool and remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Pull two shots of espresso using your favorite espresso maker, or brew ½ cup of strong coffee.
- Heat your milk on the stove or in the microwave. Then froth it using a whisk or mason jar.
- Pour the espresso or coffee into your coffee mug. Add the cinnamon brown sugar syrup, and then pour the steamed milk on top. Spoon on milk foam and add a sprinkle of cinnamon as a garnish!
Brown Sugar Latte Recipe Variations
Now that you’ve seen the simple recipe, it’s time to talk about variations! Here are a few tasty ideas:
Brown Sugar Syrup
Our brown sugar latte recipe uses a homemade syrup that’s easy to make and handy to keep around. Simple syrup keeps for up to two weeks in the refrigerator, so you can make a large batch and add it to your coffee all week!
Of course, you don’t have to make a simple syrup to enjoy a brown sugar latte. Making brown sugar syrup ensures that the sugar crystals fully dissolve instead of sinking to the bottom of your cup. But you can mix brown sugar straight into a latte! Just give the drink a thorough stir!
Curious about spices other than cinnamon? You can try experimenting with your favorite spices! Add a little nutmeg, pumpkin spice, or even turmeric to your brown sugar latte, and see what you think. You may just discover your new favorite flavor combination!
Espresso or Brewed Coffee?
The eternal homemade latte question: to espresso or not to espresso? If you have an espresso machine, portable espresso maker, or stovetop Moka pot, we recommend using that for this recipe. The bold, complex flavor of espresso just can’t be replicated by a coffee machine. But if you don’t have any of those devices, don’t worry! Your brown sugar latte will still be creamy, rich, and delicious. Make your brewed coffee extra strong and enjoy.
There you have it: a simple brown sugar latte recipe, plus brewing tips and flavor suggestions. Whipping up a brown sugar simple syrup with cinnamon takes this easy recipe over the top. Brown sugar may not be the most common latte sweetener, but it adds extra flavor and makes for a tasty, well-balanced drink.