If you’re not familiar with matcha lattes, this delightful drink is a Japanese-inspired latte with a base of matcha tea and lightly sweetened milk. While it may look like plain green tea, matcha is a finely ground powder of specially grown and harvested leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant native to Asia. It’s a popular choice for tea lovers and has many health benefits, too.
Though this latte is traditionally prepared using special Japanese tea sets, using the items you have handy will work just as well. Here, we’ll show you how to easily make it at home. Gather the below ingredients and let’s get started!
What You’ll Need to Make a Matcha Latte at Home
1. Heat the water.
The first step to making a matcha latte at home is to heat the water in a kettle on the stovetop or in the microwave for about 2 minutes. It needs to be hot, but not boiling.
2. Mix the matcha powder with the hot water.
In a coffee cup, whisk together the hot water and matcha powder.
3. Heat the milk.
Using a milk steamer, stovetop pan, or microwave-safe jar, heat the milk until it’s hot but not boiling.
Pour the hot milk into the matcha mixture and stir thoroughly.
5. If desired, sweeten to taste.
If you delight in the flavor of matcha, you may have found a healthy and straightforward ritual to liven up any time of your day. Changing up the recipe to your liking allows you to make it as indulgent or as clean as you like it.
The Matcha Experience
What does matcha taste like?
If you’re not a green tea connoisseur, matcha has an intense earthy flavor with a back-end sweetness. When made latte-style, it has a creaminess that gives it an indulgent feel without the guilt. The Americanized version served up at coffee houses tends to mask the authentic matcha flavor with a substantial amount of sugar. If you’ve only had matcha tea or a matcha latte from a coffee shop, try adding a smaller amount of sugar for a more authentic drink.
What are the health benefits?
Whether you’ve had to abandon a coffee addiction, you have a grand love of tea, or you’re looking for a healthy treat to add to your day, matcha can be a great choice. It’s chock full of antioxidants, boasting 20 times more than blueberries. As a bonus, matcha can boost your metabolism and help you burn fat, along with a plethora of other health benefits.
Matcha has somewhat less caffeine than a cup of coffee, and it also contains an amino acid called L-Theanine. This allows your body to slowly absorb the caffeine, providing steady, sustained energy throughout the day.
Simple Matcha Latte Recipe
- Small whisk
- Coffee cup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 3/4 cup hot milk
- Honey or sweetener to taste
- Heat the water in a kettle on the stovetop or in the microwave for about 2 minutes. It needs to be hot, but not boiling.
- In a coffee cup, whisk together the hot water and matcha powder.
- Using a milk steamer, stovetop pan, or microwave-safe jar, heat the milk until it's hot but not boiling.
- Pour the hot milk into the matcha mixture and stir thoroughly.
- If desired, sweeten to taste. Add a spoonful of honey, sugar, or your favorite alternative sweetener to the cup. Stir and enjoy!
There you have it. In five simple steps, you can make a tasty, healthy, and colorful match latte in your kitchen. We hope you enjoy your homemade matcha lattes! And if it’s too hot, check out our easy iced matcha latte recipe…
- How do you make a caramel latte?
- Make a Vietnamese iced coffee in four easy steps
- How to Make Japanese Coffee Jelly (Easy & Delicious)
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Need to Make a Matcha Latte at Home
- The Matcha Experience
- Simple Matcha Latte Recipe