If you’re one of the millions of people who have been sucked into the black hole of entertainment and creativity on TikTok, you’ve probably seen creators making dalgona coffee, also called whipped coffee or TikTok coffee.
Whipped coffee is truly a thing of beauty with its impossibly fluffy and airy coffee, and it’s devilishly delicious too! Below, we’re going to discuss what goes into this unique coffee creation and how to make it. Soon, you’ll be enjoying refreshing and scrumptious whipped coffee at home!
What is Dalgona Coffee?
Whipped coffee is just that: coffee that’s whipped! Made by mixing hot water, instant coffee, and sugar, whipped coffee is a thick and creamy coffee substance that’s similar in texture and airiness to whipped cream.
It’s believed to have originated in South Korea, and it has grown wildly in popularity thanks to content creators on TikTok. It’s a very visually appealing mixture, so image- and video-based social media platforms like TikTok, Instagram, and Pinterest have led more and more people to try to make it at home.
How to Make Whipped Coffee:
To begin, you’ll need three ingredients and two pieces of equipment that you probably already have at home. The beauty of whipped coffee is that it’s super simple to make, and you won’t have to break the bank to try it at home.
1. Add ingredients to the bowl.
Begin by placing the instant coffee, hot water, and sugar into the medium mixing bowl
2. Whisk for 7-10 minutes.
Using the whisk attachments for your mixer, whisk for 7-10 minutes, or until the coffee cream has thick peaks that won’t drip off of your whisk. You can use a hand whisk instead, but the whisking process will take significantly longer
3. Prepare your glass.
Get your drinking glass ready. If you’d like, drizzle chocolate syrup onto the inside of your serving glass.
4. Combine and enjoy!
Add cold milk to your serving glass (with or without ice), and top with your coffee cream mixture. If you want a really over-the-top drink, sprinkle cocoa powder or cinnamon on top of the cream mixture as a garnish. Yum!
Do I Have to Use Instant Coffee?
Instant coffee is meant to dissolve entirely in hot water, and it’s this property that makes it especially suitable for whipped coffee. You can make whipped coffee without instant coffee, but it won’t be quite the same. Any kind of coffee grounds will prevent the mixture from getting that foamy and airy texture, so while you can use beans that are ground very finely for espresso, it won’t produce the same result. Instead, you’ll end up with a liquidy — albeit tasty! — mixture.
However, using very strong, filtered coffee is possible. Simply substitute 2 tablespoons of strong espresso or very strong coffee in place of the instant coffee in the recipe above. Note that the whisking process will take significantly longer, and you won’t end up with quite the frothiness as you would using instant coffee.
Can I Make Whipped Coffee Without Sugar?
We know — two tablespoons of sugar is a lot! The instant coffee used to make this recipe will make the foam very strong, and the sugar serves to ease the strength and bitterness. If you want to avoid consuming all of that sugar, your best bet is to halve the recipe or split it with a friend!
Can I Make It Vegan?
You certainly can! Simply replace the regular milk with your favorite non-dairy milk. Almond milk and oat milk work well and still taste delicious. Or try one of our 6 favorite vegan coffee recipes!
Is Whipped Coffee Different Than Dalgona Coffee?
Not at all! Whipped coffee is the same thing and is made the same way. Dalgona coffee was what the beverage was first called in Korea, as a famous South Korean actor said it tasted similar to a Korean toffee called Dalgona.
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 serving glass (make sure it’s clear so you can see how beautiful the result is!)
- 1 mixer with whisk attachments (optional non-electric whisk)
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ cups cold milk non-dairy optional
- Cocoa powder chocolate syrup, or cinnamon (optional)
- Begin by placing the instant coffee, hot water, and sugar into the medium mixing bowl.
- Using the whisk attachments for your mixer, whisk for 7-10 minutes, or until the coffee cream has thick peaks that won’t drip off of your whisk. You can use a hand whisk instead, but the whisking process will take significantly longer.
- Get your drinking glass ready. If you'd like, drizzle chocolate syrup onto the inside of your serving glass.
- Add cold milk to your serving glass (with or without ice), and top with your coffee cream mixture. If you want a really over the top drink, sprinkle cocoa powder or cinnamon on top of the cream mixture as a garnish. Yum!
Whether you’re making whipped coffee to take mouth-watering pictures for Instagram, finding the perfect audio to couple with a video of your process on TikTok, or you simply want to try dalgona coffee at home, this recipe should help you make the lightest, airiest whipped coffee around. Enjoy!
Looking for more coffee recipes?
- 24 Healthy Coffee Recipes (Quick & Easy)
- How to Make an AeroPress Latte: Simple Steps
- How to Make Iced Coffee with Keurig (Recipe & Pictures)
Featured Image: jmexclusives, Pixabay
Table of Contents
- What is Dalgona Coffee?
- How to Make Whipped Coffee:
- Do I Have to Use Instant Coffee?
- Can I Make Whipped Coffee Without Sugar?
- Can I Make It Vegan?
- Is Whipped Coffee Different Than Dalgona Coffee?
- Whipped Coffee