White chocolate mochas are sweet, rich treats, and serving them over ice makes the perfect summer afternoon treat. You can buy one at your local Starbucks, but why not try whipping up a refreshing iced white chocolate mocha at home?
Below, you’ll find our favorite iced white mocha recipe, plus brewing tips and variation ideas. Get ready for a delicious drink!
What’s a white chocolate mocha?
A classic mocha is a delicious combination of chocolate, milk, and espresso. To make it a white mocha, you substitute white chocolate for the regular chocolate. Despite the name, white chocolate isn’t related to regular chocolate. Instead of cacao beans, white chocolate contains cocoa butter, milk solids, sugar, and vanilla. It has a creamy texture and — unlike other types of chocolate — no caffeine. Now let’s get to the recipe!
Creamy Iced White Chocolate Mocha
- Espresso machine or coffee maker
- Tall glass
- 2 ounces espresso cooled
- 1 cup coffee ice cubes or regular ice
- 1.5 tablespoons white chocolate sauce
- 6 ounces cold milk
- Whipped cream and white chocolate chips optional
- Pull two shots of espresso and let them cool for a few minutes. If you don’t have an espresso machine, you can use 3 or 4 ounces of brewed coffee.
- Drizzle your glass with a little white chocolate sauce. This isn’t required, but it does add a little flair to your white chocolate mocha.
- Fill the glass with ice. We’re using coffee ice (frozen cubes of coffee) for a stronger coffee flavor, but you can also use regular ice cubes.
- Pour in the espresso, milk, and white chocolate sauce. Stir to thoroughly mix.
- Garnish with whipped cream and white chocolate chips or caramel sauce. Enjoy your tasty treat!
Iced White Chocolate Mocha Brewing Tips
With a recipe that easy and delicious, you may be wondering why you’d need brewing tips! Experimenting with coffee drinks is always rewarding, and one of the best benefits of making a drink at home is that you get to customize it. Here are some tips:
Homemade White Chocolate Sauce
White chocolate sauce is easy and inexpensive to buy at the store. But if you don’t have any or want a fully homemade iced white mocha, you can easily make the white chocolate sauce at home. Heat 4 tablespoons of white chocolate chips and 1 cup of milk in a pan on the stove. Keep a close eye on it to keep the mixture from burning! That’s it — let your white chocolate sauce cool and enjoy!
Other Kinds of Milk
The above recipe can work with any percent of milk, from skim to whole. Which you should use depends on how rich and creamy you like your mochas. Keep in mind that your white mocha will also have white chocolate sauce, so it’ll be creamy even if you use skim milk. If you’re vegan or lactose-intolerant, you can also use coconut milk, almond milk, or oat milk.
Espresso or Coffee
Espresso is the best option for coffee shop-style white chocolate mocha. The bold, slightly bitter flavor balances perfectly with the sweet, creamy milk and chocolate. If you have an espresso machine or a Moka pot, you’re all set! Don’t have any espresso makers? You can substitute strong coffee and still enjoy the drink. Try using an AeroPress or the strong setting on a Keurig machine.
Wondering about those coffee ice cubes? We’re big fans of this coffee hack, which involves freezing brewed coffee in an ice cube tray. As the cubes melt in your drink, they add more coffee flavor instead of watering down the drink. Plus, coffee ice cubes conveniently keep for a long time in your freezer!
Now that you’ve seen our iced white chocolate mocha recipe and read our brewing tips, what are you waiting for? It’s time to see for yourself how fast and easy this drink is to make at home. And did we mention how delicious it is?
- How to Make a White Chocolate Mocha (Simple Steps)
- Iced Matcha Latte Recipe (Refreshing & Unusual)
- Iced Caramel Latte Recipe (Easy and So Delicious!)
Featured image credit: Elena Veselova, Shutterstock