On a cold, rainy day, there’s nothing like a hot cup of tea to warm you up. The London Fog latte takes a basic cup of tea up a level, adding velvety steamed milk and smooth, sweet vanilla to make a delicious latte.
You can buy this drink at Starbucks or any number of small coffee shops, but you can also make it at home. All you need are a few very simple ingredients! Once you try the easy recipe, you’ll see what we mean.
What is a London Fog Tea Latte?
Earl Grey tea is one of the most popular types of tea in the world. It’s made with black tea leaves and something called bergamot, which is a Mediterranean citrus fruit. Green like limes but about the size of an orange, bergamot is a fragrant, tart fruit. You’ll find it in everything from perfume to pesto!
Easy London Fog Latte
- Large coffee mug
- Milk steamer (or bowl and whisk)
- 1 Earl Grey tea bag or loose leaf tea
- 8 ounces water
- ½ cup milk any kind
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 spoonful honey or white sugar
- Dried lavender optional
- Brew a strong cup of Earl Grey tea. Let it steep for 3 minutes, or follow the instructions on your tea container. Then remove the tea bag or filter out the loose leaf tea.
- Steam your milk. If you don’t have a steamer, you can heat the milk on the stove or in the microwave. Then whisk it until you get a good amount of foam.
- Pour the milk into the mug on top of the tea. Stir in the vanilla extract and honey. Then add a spoonful of milk foam to the top.
- Garnish your drink with a little dried lavender (optional) and enjoy!
London Fog Recipe Tips & Variations
Before you start brewing, take a look at our quick tips and recipe variation ideas!
What kind of milk?
What about sweeteners?
Honey is a particularly delicious addition to the Earl Grey latte because it’s such a classic tea flavoring. But regular white sugar or brown sugar also works well, as long as you make sure they fully dissolve. If you’re using solid sugar, you may want to add it to the just-brewed hot tea and stir thoroughly. This will give the sugar a chance to fully dissolve before you add anything else.
Can you use a different kind of tea?
London Fog lattes are always made with Earl Grey tea because the bergamot is one of the central flavors. But if you don’t have Earl Grey on hand or don’t like the flavor, you can use a different kind of tea. Using chai will turn this into a chai tea latte, and using an herbal strawberry acai tea will turn it into a Pink Drink!
The Bottom Line
Ready to start whipping up the ultimate cozy drink? Making a London Fog latte is surprisingly easy — just combine strong Earl Grey tea with steamed milk, vanilla, and your favorite sweetener — and oh-so-delicious. So what are you waiting for?
- French Press Tea: Creative Uses for Your Brewer
- Velvety Beet Latte Recipe (Simple Steps)
- Iced London Fog Latte Recipe (Simple & Refreshing)
Featured image: Rimma Bondarenko, Shutterstock