So, you’ve been looking around the internet for delicious and unique coffee recipes to try and you stumble upon a beautiful and mouth-watering picture of eiskaffee. Now you want to make it for yourself and see if it tastes as good as it looks, right? Well, you’ve come to the right place, and we can tell you that it does!
Below, we’re going to discuss what eiskaffee is, how to make it, and some tasty variations you can try once you master the easy original recipe. Let’s get started!
What is Eiskaffee?
“Eiskaffee” is a German word that translates to “iced coffee,” but it’s usually different than any iced coffee you’ve had in America! Although it sometimes refers to regular iced coffee like you’re used to drinking, it’s most often more like a German ice cream coffee. It’s usually made by combining vanilla ice cream and some type of coffee, and in case you couldn’t tell by looking at pictures, it’s utterly delicious.
Both versions of eiskaffee can be found in coffee and ice cream shops all around Germany. Since you probably already know how to make regular iced coffee, we’ll be detailing the steps necessary to make the ice cream version. Let’s face it: everything’s a little better with ice cream!
How Do You Make Eiskaffee?
Since we’re sure you’re itching to know how to make eiskaffee, we’ll get right to it. Stick around after the simple steps to see how to bring your eiskaffee to the next level!
- 2 cups of chilled brewed coffee OR 2 shots of chilled espresso
- 2-3 scoops of plain vanilla ice cream
- Whipping cream OR whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup (optional)
- Chocolate sprinkles (optional)
1. Scoop the ice cream.
Begin by placing your vanilla ice cream into your serving glass.
2. Pour in coffee or espresso.
Pour your chilled coffee or espresso over the ice cream.
3. Top with whipped cream.
If you’re making your own whipped cream (recommended), add whipping cream to your cream whipper and dispense the desired amount on top of your beverage. If you’re using store-bought whipped cream, skip the preparation step and simply add whipped cream on top of your beverage
Top with chocolate syrup, chocolate sprinkles, or both for garnish (optional).
4. Serve & enjoy!
Serve cold and enjoy your delicious German dessert!
What’s the Best Way to Make the Coffee?
You can use any brewing method you please to make eiskaffee. However, we’ve found that more robust coffee flavors often compliment the ice cream’s sweetness better. Espresso is our favorite choice, with cold brew concentrate in a close second.
However, drip coffee, French press, pour over, and even instant coffee would work just fine. The strength of the coffee is most important in this recipe, so make your coffee however you choose, but make sure it’s as robust as the brewing method allows.
Can I Booze it Up?
What kind of coffee recipe would this be if you couldn’t add alcohol for a fun twist? Eiskaffee is the perfect coffee beverage to add a shot or two of liqueur to for a nice after-dinner, alcoholic beverage.
We recommend playing around with a few different liqueurs to see which you like the best, but given the complexity of the coffee drink alone, you’ll find that there are many options. Rum and coffee or chocolate liqueurs like Baileys or Kahlua are our favorites. Whiskey adds a delightful complexity, and bourbon can serve as a beautiful compliment to the decadent flavors.
Can I Customize the Recipe at All?
The beauty of eiskaffee is that you can customize most portions of the recipe! While the coffee part should always be made with a robust and flavorful coffee like espresso or cold brew concentrate, the ice cream portion can be your place to let your creativity shine.
We’ve experimented with a few different ice cream flavors. Vanilla is our favorite, but cookies and cream was a rather exciting flavor choice, and mint chocolate chip delivered a beautiful minty coffee experience that was unique and refreshing. We can imagine that a maple or pecan ice cream would also be quite lovely.
You can also experiment with homemade whipped cream recipes and garnishes to make this recipe your own. Maple-vanilla-infused whipped cream is one whipped cream alternative that we were incredibly excited about, but you can get as adventurous as you like. Garnishes could range from simple chocolate sprinkles to bits of candy to fruit. The options are endless!
Eiskaffee (Ice Cream Coffee)
- Preferred brewing apparatus
- Serving glass
- (Optional) Cream whipper
- 2 cups chilled brewed coffee or 2 shots of chilled espresso
- 2 scoops plain vanilla ice cream
- Whipping cream OR whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup optional
- Chocolate sprinkles optional
- Begin by placing your vanilla ice cream into your serving glass.
- Pour your chilled coffee or espresso over the ice cream.
- Top with whipped cream. If you’re making your own whipped cream (recommended), add whipping cream to your cream whipper and dispense the desired amount on top of your beverage. If you’re using store-bought whipped cream, skip the preparation step and simply add whipped cream on top of your beverage
- Top with chocolate syrup, chocolate sprinkles, or both for garnish (optional).
- Serve cold and enjoy your delicious German dessert!
German Ice Cream Coffee: Conclusion
There you have it: one of the most delicious coffee recipes you’ll find on the internet! Eiskaffee is a very straightforward mixed coffee drink to make, but the customization options and the possibilities for additions like whiskey and candy make it an exciting — and delicious — experiment.
Looking for more coffee recipes?
- 10 Delicious Kahlua Coffee Recipes (With Pictures)
- How to Make a Lavender Latte: 3 Easy Steps
- Egg Coffee: 8 Surprisingly Delicious Recipes
Featured Image: roDesignment, Pixabay
Table of Contents
- What is Eiskaffee?
- How Do You Make Eiskaffee?
- What’s the Best Way to Make the Coffee?
- Can I Booze it Up?
- Can I Customize the Recipe at All?
- Eiskaffee (Ice Cream Coffee)
- German Ice Cream Coffee: Conclusion