If you want to turn heads on your morning commute, look no further than the blue algae latte. Besides being a startlingly unnatural shade of blue, the blue algae latte is also packed with vitamins and nutrients that most people are deficient in, making it a healthy way to energize yourself in the morning.
This recipe is not for people that aren’t willing to purchase some niche ingredients because it is unlikely that your spice cabinet will contain everything you need. However, the recipe itself is simple and doesn’t take long to make. An additional bonus is that you can easily make a week’s worth at once, saving yourself time. Let’s learn how to make a blue algae recipe.
A Note About Names
The blue algae latte is sometimes called the blue spirulina latte or the blue-green algae latte, so don’t let the terminology confuse you. Spirulina is the name of the blue-green algae that gives the drink its characteristic blue color and many purported health benefits. Calling the drink the spirulina latte is the most biologically accurate, with blue-green algae also being more accurate than blue algae. We suspect that blue algae latte is used because it triggers recognition in anyone who has seen the shockingly blue drink before.
Blue Algae Latte Recipe
- Small saucepan
- Small bowl
- ½ tsp Powdered blue spirulina
- 1 tbsp Coconut butter
- 1 tbsp Collagen peptides
- 1 ½ cups Coconut milk
- ¼ tsp Ground cinnamon
- Heat the coconut in a small saucepan on low heat. Remove it from heat before it boils.
- Once the coconut milk is heated, add the blue spirulina to a small bowl and combine it with a small amount of the milk; use just enough to saturate the spirulina.
- Whisk the spirulina, adding small amounts of milk at a time to prevent clumping. If you add the coconut milk too fast, the spirulina will clump, making it much more difficult to achieve a smooth texture at the end.
- Once the spirulina and coconut milk are fully mixed, add them to your blender along with the coconut butter and cinnamon.
- Blend the mixture until it reaches a frothy, foamy texture.
- Add the collagen peptides and blend again at low speed.
- Pour the latte into your favorite mug and garnish with a dash of cinnamon if you’re feeling fancy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Where to Buy Spirulina
If you’ve never purchased spirulina before, you might be unsure of where to find it. You can buy it online, and some supermarkets stock spirulina in the vitamins and supplements section. Be sure to keep an eye out for all the name variations since different brands use different terminology.
You could also buy spirulina from a vitamin store since virtually all major supplement companies stock it.
There is a lot of room for customization with this recipe, and our recommendations are only suggestions. Here are some of our favorite alternatives.
Featured Image Credit: Teodor Costachioiu, Shutterstock