Some days you crave chocolate and a little refreshment. If a hot drink isn’t what you’re looking for, you’ll want to try an iced mocha. Chocolate and coffee make a delicious combination — and adding ice makes for a perfect summer drink.
Read on to find our easy iced mocha recipe, plus variations to suit your taste and equipment. You’ll be sipping something sweet and cold before you know it!
How to Make an Iced Mocha:
1. Stir together espresso, milk, and chocolate syrup.
In a Mason jar or large glass, combine the espresso or strong coffee with milk and chocolate syrup. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Stirring these ingredients together before adding ice helps the syrup to fully dissolve, leaving you with a well-mixed, delicious drink.
2. Add ice to a glass.
Pour ice into a second glass. You’ll want the glass at least three-quarters full to cool the drink down.
Another option? Use coffee ice cubes, which won’t water your drink down.
3. Pour in the chocolate-coffee mixture.
Pour the mixture over the ice. Then stir thoroughly.
4. Top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
This step is optional, but it can take your afternoon treat over the top. Add whipped cream and sprinkles, chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, or chocolate syrup for an extra-tasty treat!
What Variations Can You Make?
A great benefit of making coffee drinks at home is the ability to customize. You don’t have to worry about annoying a barista with a long list of your preferences! Here are a few ways you can personalize your iced mocha:
Homemade Chocolate Syrup
Don’t have a bottle of Hershey’s in your refrigerator or want to control the amount of sugar in your diet? Try making chocolate syrup at home! All you need is cocoa powder, sugar, and milk — making for a very affordable treat.
RELATED READ: Read our easy guide to making coffee syrups.
Different Kinds of Milk
You can use any kind of milk to make an iced mocha, from classic whole milk to vegan nut milk. And feel free to vary the ratio of coffee to milk depending on your taste. Some might like a coffee-forward mocha, but others would rather enjoy the chocolate and cream elements.
Espresso or Coffee?
This is an age-old question for coffee lovers: is espresso or brewed coffee better? At a coffee shop, your mocha will likely be made with a shot or two of espresso. But when you’re brewing at home, you can easily substitute regular coffee. The flavor will vary a little, and you may want to add a little less milk to adjust for the lighter flavor of the coffee.
Toppings are where you can get creative. They’re fully optional — and you may want to skip them if you’re cutting down on sugar or calories — but they can make this drink a lot more fun. A layer of whipped cream (freshly whipped or from a can) provides a great base. Top with rainbow or chocolate sprinkles, chocolate shavings, crushed peppermint candy, or chocolate chips. Delicious!
Rich Iced Mocha
- Mason jar
- Glass or mug
- 2 ounces espresso or strong coffee
- ½ cup milk
- Chocolate syrup to taste
- Whipped cream optional
- Sprinkles or chocolate shavings optional
- In a Mason jar or large glass, combine the espresso or strong coffee with milk and chocolate syrup. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Stirring these ingredients together before adding ice helps the syrup to fully dissolve, leaving you with a well-mixed, delicious drink.
- Pour ice into a second glass. You’ll want the glass at least three-quarters full to cool the drink down.
- Pour the chocolate-coffee mixture over the ice. Then stir thoroughly.
- This step is optional, but it can take your afternoon treat over the top. Add whipped cream and sprinkles, chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, or chocolate syrup for an extra-tasty treat!
Homemade Iced Mochas: Final Thoughts
Now you know how to make an iced mocha at home. It’s a simple process, but doing it in the right order will give you a much better drink. Homemade iced mochas are easy, affordable, and endlessly customizable — meaning you’ll be able to enjoy your treat just the way you like it!
We hope you enjoy your refreshing chocolatey drink. Skip the coffee shop and learn a new skill!
Not quite right? Try one of our other delicious coffee recipes:
- How to Make Frozen Coffee: Recipe & Pictures
- How to Make 6 Delicious Coffee Desserts
- Easy Thai Iced Coffee Recipe (Unbelievably Delicious!)
Table of Contents
- How to Make an Iced Mocha:
- What Variations Can You Make?
- Rich Iced Mocha
- Homemade Iced Mochas: Final Thoughts