If you’re a coffee lover, you’ve probably heard of the Breve at Dutch Bros, but you might not know exactly what it is. It has become quite a popular drink with coffee enthusiasts over the last few years and is popular in cafes and coffee shops everywhere.
But what exactly is a Breve? Can you only get a good one at Dutch Bros? Can you make it at home? We’ll answer all of these questions and more, plus give you a simple recipe below.
How to Make a Dutch Bros-Style Breve:
1. Brew coffee or make an espresso.
You’ll first want to brew a pot of coffee or make espresso. If you have an espresso machine, pull two shots; if not, brew a strong pot of coffee in your coffee maker.
2. Pour your ingredients into a large mug.
Once the coffee is made, pour 2 ounces of coffee into a mug or two shots of espresso.
3. Steam your half-and-half or milk and cream.
Once your mug is filled, steam your half and half. If you don’t like half and half, you can substitute heavy cream and whole milk in equal parts.
You can use a steaming wand if you have one. If not, just heat up some milk in the microwave and go from there.
4. Pour the dairy into your mug.
Once your half-and-half or milk is ready, pour the finished product into your mug. However, make sure not to pour the foam into the mug with the liquid. Instead, use a spoon to scoop the foam on top of your decadent drink, instead.
5. Add syrup or other sweeteners.
At this point, it’s time to add any syrup or other sweeteners you might like. Once that’s done, sit back and enjoy your Breve!
What Is a Breve?
Now that you know how to make a Breve and that you can make it at home, we’ll talk about what a Breve actually is. Instead of milk, half-and-half is used to make a Breve. However, just like other coffee beverages, it is topped with milk foam.
The Breve half-and-half is what makes this drink special when it comes to texture and taste. Since the half-and-half has a higher calorie content, it makes for a creamier, richer texture and flavor than using whole milk, but you can do either for the recipe we provided.
While most coffee shops and baristas should know what a Breve is, you can get it simply by ordering a latte and telling the barista to use half-and-half instead of milk.
Simple Dutch Bros-Style Breve Recipe
- Espresso machine/Coffee machine, or Percolator
- Whisk or frother
- 2 ounces espresso or a freshly brewed black cup of coffee strong
- 2-3 ounces half and half
- Sweetener optional
- Cinnamon stick optional
- Syrup of your choice
- Start by making a strong pot of coffee or pulling two shots from your espresso machine.
- Pour the coffee or espresso into a mug.
- Heat your milk and heavy cream or half and half by using your steam wand, espresso machine, or just heating it in the microwave.
- Pour your mixture into your mug, withholding the foam.
- Spoon the foam onto your mug and add any syrups or sweeteners you like, then enjoy the fragrance and taste of a well-made Breve.
Using half and half produces a creamier beverage that customers love, and more coffee lovers are ordering Breves, regardless of the added calories and sugar. Dutch Bros makes incredible coffee drinks, but if you don’t want to go out of the house to get this delicious, decadent drink, follow the recipe above to make one at home.
Featured Image Credit: lu-photo, Shutterstock
Table of Contents
- How to Make a Dutch Bros-Style Breve:
- What Is a Breve?
- Simple Dutch Bros-Style Breve Recipe