If you’re looking for the ultimate coffee treat, you have to consider the salted caramel mocha. Sweet, salty, smooth, and rich, it has just enough of everything! Even better, you don’t have to pay your local barista to make it for you.
We’ll show you how to make the salted caramel mocha of your dreams — in six simple steps. Get ready for a spectacular coffee drink!
Salted Caramel Mocha
- Coffee or espresso maker
- Stovetop pan or microwave and jar
- Coffee mug
- ½ cup strong coffee or 2 espresso shots
- 5 ounces milk
- 1.5 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoons salted caramel sauce
- Whipped cream
- Brew your strong coffee or pull two shots of espresso.
- Heat your milk. You can do this over medium-low heat in a stovetop pan or a jar in the microwave. Don’t let it boil!
- Froth your milk. The easiest way to do this is to shake the hot milk in a lidded jar, but you can also whisk it in a bowl.
- Pour the milk, cocoa powder, and salted caramel sauce into your coffee mug. Stir thoroughly until it’s fully mixed.
- Add your strong coffee or espresso and stir again.
- Top with whipped cream and more salted caramel sauce. That’s it -- time to enjoy your decadent drink!
Salted Caramel Mocha Recipe Variations
Our base recipe is already pretty over-the-top — bursting with flavor and complexity — but that doesn’t mean you can’t make it even better! Here are a few ways to adapt the salted caramel mocha recipe to your specific tastes:
Buying salted caramel sauce at the store is the fastest, easiest option. But you can also make salted caramel sauce at home! Cook sugar, butter, salt, and heavy cream together to make a delicious sauce that you can also eat with ice cream or in your regular brewed coffee.
Cocoa powder is a simple way to turn a regular latte into a chocolatey mocha. If you want to experiment, you can try other chocolate forms, too — like hot chocolate mix, chocolate milk, chocolate syrup, or melted chocolate chips. These might up the calorie count a little, but when you’re treating yourself, does it really matter?
Coffee vs Espresso
Does brewed coffee or espresso work better for this recipe? If you have an espresso machine, that’s the best option. Espresso’s unique, rich flavor blends perfectly with chocolate and salted caramel. But brewed coffee is also a good option — as long as you make it extra strong. You can also make concentrated coffee in a Moka pot or AeroPress.
The Bottom Line
We hope you enjoy this simple-but-decadent salted caramel mocha recipe! There’s nothing quite as delicious as a mocha, and mixing in salted caramel sauce makes it a truly day-brightening treat. Plus, you can skip the coffee shop line and make your mocha just the way you like it.
- How to Make Caramel Iced Coffee (Easy Recipe)
- 15 Cozy Winter Coffee Recipes
- How to Make a Cold Brew Mocha (So Tasty!)
Featured image credit: contrse, Shutterstock