A coffee bomb is a chocolate ball that is filled with instant espresso or instant coffee as well as cocoa powder and creamer, according to your taste. When hot milk is poured over the coffee bomb, the chocolate melts and its contents spill into the cup, essentially leaving you with the constituent parts of a cappuccino or a decadent café au lait with extra toppings. All you need to do is stir and enjoy the drink. The recipe below creates six coffee bombs that have a café-mocha style flavor and finish, but you can adapt the ingredients to your tastes, and the amount you can make will depend on your molds.
How to Make a Coffee Bomb:
1. Melt the Chocolate
Put the chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl and melt the chocolate in a microwave. This will usually take around 60 seconds.
2. Coat the Mold
Remove the chocolate from the microwave and put a tablespoon into each half-sphere mold. Spread the chocolate around the molds to ensure they are fully covered.
3. Set the Chocolate
Place the mold in the freezer to allow the chocolate to set. This usually takes around 10 minutes, but do not leave them in too long or they will be more likely to crack during the next step.
4. Remove the Spheres
Carefully remove the spheres from the silicone mold. Touch the chocolate as little as possible and avoid any cracking or breaking.
5. Add the Fillings
Add half a tablespoon of cocoa powder to your fully set chocolate bowls. Add a teaspoon of instant coffee and half a tablespoon of creamer on top of the cocoa powder.
6. Warm a Plate
Warm a small plate for 45 seconds in the microwave.
7. Construct the Spheres
Take an empty half sphere and place it on the warm plate until the very edge starts to melt. Place this on top of a filled half-sphere, ensuring that the edges align neatly. Clear up any excess melted chocolate from the sphere by running a clean finger over it. Repeat this process with the remaining spheres.
Coffee Bomb Fillings
There are various fillings you can add to your coffee bombs to give a unique flavor and finish.
Simple Coffee Bomb Recipe
- Microwavable plate
- Silicone half sphere mold
- 6 tsp Instant coffee
- 3 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp Creamer
- ½ cup Chocolate chips
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for about 60 seconds.
- Spread the chocolate over each half sphere mold, ensuring each one is fully covered.
- Put the chocolate-filled molds in the freezer for about 10 minutes until fully set.
- Once the chocolate is set, remove molds from the freezer, and carefully remove the chocolate half spheres.
- In half of your half spheres, add half a tablespoon of cocoa powder, a teaspoon of coffee, half a tablespoon of creamer, and add any other extras.
- Warm a small plate in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
- Take an empty half sphere and place it rim down on the plate until the rim starts to melt. When it starts to melt, remove it and put it on top of one of the filled half spheres so that the rims align neatly. Repeat with the remaining half spheres.
Coffee bombs combine coffee, chocolate, creamer, and sweetener in a small spherical ball that, when hot milk is added, will melt and make a great-tasting milky coffee drink. All you need to do is stir and enjoy.
Featured Image Credit: liudmila_selyaninova, Shutterstock