Rich, creamy, and indulgently sweet, the Golden Eagle soars to the top of the favorites list for Dutch Bros fanatics. If you have not tried the drink, it is very similar to a caramel breve, and the iced version tastes a bit like an iced caramel macchiato from their rival, Starbucks. Unlike the popular Seattle-based chain that has stores across the globe, Dutch Bros is enthusiastically enjoyed in the western United States but has sparse locations elsewhere. The good news is that you can create a copycat Golden Eagle from home by following a few simple steps.
How to Make a Dutch Bros-Style Golden Eagle
1. Brew your espresso shots.
Pull two shots of espresso from your machine. We recommend using a strong espresso roast so that the half & half doesn’t drown out the coffee’s rich flavor. If you want an authentic Golden Eagle, you can always buy Dutch Bros Private Reserve Blend online, which is what they use in-house.
2. Stir the caramel sauce into the fresh espresso shots.
Squeeze 1 TBSP caramel sauce into the hot espresso shots and stir with a spoon. The elevated temperature of the coffee should quickly melt the syrup, making it easier to mix.
2. Fill the large drinking cup at least halfway with ice.
The exact amount depends on how much ice you want in your drink but fill it at least halfway so the espresso shots don’t warm up the half-n-half, resulting in an unpleasantly lukewarm drink.
4. Drizzle caramel sauce around the sides of the glass.
If you want your drink to look like a fancy cafe beverage, you can drizzle the caramel sauce around the edges of the cup before adding the liquids.
5. Pour the caramelized espresso shots into the glass.
Pour the espresso shots with the caramel sauce over the ice. If it appears that the ice cubes are quickly dissolving, add a little more ice before mixing in the half-n-half.
6. Add vanilla syrup and half-n-half.
Pour 1 TBSP vanilla syrup and 6 oz. of half-n-half into the glass. Stir until consistent.
7. Optional: Top with whipped cream and caramel drizzle.
To make an extra-yummy treat, top the glass with a shot of whipped cream and caramel drizzle.
What Are Some Common Modifications for the Dutch Bros Golden Eagle?
Although there are limited modifications at Dutch Bros, you can make virtually any alteration at home. You can swap the half-n-half for coconut milk if you need a dairy-free option. Coconut milk is one of the creamiest plant-based milk, so it’s the closest alternative to half-n-half. If you’re looking to reduce the calories, however, oat milk would probably be a better option even though it won’t be as creamy. You can also swap out the caramel sauce and vanilla syrup for sugar-free alternatives.
In addition to dietary changes, you can also easily include other flavors in your drink, such as chocolate or raspberry, or even make it a slightly less guilty pleasure with added protein powder. Char at Hey Joe Coffee recommends trying a Golden Eagle Chai, or completing the drink with a homemade soft top, just like they do at Dutch Bros.
We focused on the iced version, but it wouldn’t be difficult to make a hot or blended Golden Eagle either. To make it hot, all you would need to do is omit the ice and heat the milk before you pour. To make it blended, you would simply pour all of the ingredients in the blender and then top with whipped cream and drizzle.
Simple Dutch Bros Golden Eagle Recipe
- Espresso machine
- Cup to hold espresso shots
- Large tall glass for the finished drink
- Spoon for stirring
- 2 shots espresso
- 6 oz half & half
- 1 tbsp Vanilla syrup
- 1 tbsp Caramel sauce extra for drizzle
- Ice to fill cup
- Whipped cream optional
- Pull two shots of strong espresso from your machine into a heat-safe mug.
- Pour 1 TBSP caramel sauce into the mug and stir until the sauce has melted into the espresso shots.
- Fill your drinking glass at least halfway full of ice.
- Drizzle caramel sauce around the rim of the glass, if you're feeling extra fancy.
- Pour the caramel-espresso shots in the glass. Add more ice if it melts too quickly.
- Add 1 TBSP vanilla syrup and 6 oz. of half-n-half to the glass. Stir until consistent.
- Top with whipped cream and more caramel drizzle if desired. Enjoy!
You’ll be surprised how easy it is to create a Golden Eagle from home. Espresso shots, half-n-half, vanilla, and caramel combine into a rich treat that you can customize from the comfort of your own kitchen to meet your dietary needs and preferences. Since Dutch Bros seems to be a regional chain thus far, we’re glad that we can enjoy a Golden Eagle no matter where we are.
Featured Image Credit: Help Ukraine, Shutterstock
Table of Contents
- How to Make a Dutch Bros-Style Golden Eagle
- 1. Brew your espresso shots.
- 2. Stir the caramel sauce into the fresh espresso shots.
- 2. Fill the large drinking cup at least halfway with ice.
- 4. Drizzle caramel sauce around the sides of the glass.
- 5. Pour the caramelized espresso shots into the glass.
- 6. Add vanilla syrup and half-n-half.
- 7. Optional: Top with whipped cream and caramel drizzle.
- What Are Some Common Modifications for the Dutch Bros Golden Eagle?
- Simple Dutch Bros Golden Eagle Recipe