White coffee has only recently gained popularity, even though it has been around for centuries. Dutch Bros is one coffee chain that has helped increase its popularity among the coffee community.
If you are a Dutch Bros regular, you may have heard about their white coffee, and as an avid coffee drinker, you may be asking what Dutch Bros white coffee is. Dutch Bros white coffee is made from beans that have been lightly roasted, resulting in a less bitter taste, earthy flavors, and a caffeine kick. It uses the same beans to make the company’s other delicious roasts but with an unassuming twist.
What Is White Coffee at Dutch Bros?
White coffee is not to be confused with other caffeinated beverages that use whiteners. It has everything to do with the beans and how they are roasted. White coffee beans are roasted at 325˚F rather than 450˚–480˚F and are roasted for half the time. Initially, the coffee beans are green but change to a golden white, and as the roasting progresses, they will turn brown. Essentially, white coffee is a type of roast.
Because the beans are roasted at low heat, they are harder, which requires a special grinder to grind them down. The majority of large coffee chains now offer a white coffee option. While the roasting technique may differ between coffee houses, the preparation methods are generally similar to traditional coffee.
Dutch Bros white coffee is a blend of coffee and milk made with slightly roasted coffee beans that provides a light, earthy flavor and a punch of caffeine. The coffee is brewed with a higher ratio of coffee to water and is then combined with milk and ice.
How Much Caffeine Is in Dutch Bros White Coffee?
The longer coffee beans are roasted, the more caffeine gets burnt off, making dark roasts less caffeinated. We now know that white coffee is made with lightly roasted coffee beans, which means its caffeine content is higher than traditional roasts. On average, white coffee contains 5.7% more caffeine.
According to Dutch Bros, their white coffee contains 70% more caffeine than their traditional three-bean blend.
How Does White Coffee Taste?
The process of roasting coffee beans is what gives them the intense flavor that avid coffee drinkers love. When the coffee has a bitter hint, the beans have usually been over-roasted, so it would be assumed that under-roasting coffee beans would provide a much more subtle flavor. When beans are roasted at lower temperatures, the natural sugars do not caramelize, which removes the bitter aftertaste.
The taste of white coffee is usually described as nutty with no bitter flavor, but the flavor can depend greatly on where the beans were sourced. Like all coffee, the quality of the coffee beans is a crucial element in the flavor profile. Because white coffee is roasted at low temperatures, it allows you to enjoy a variety of flavors with more clarity.
Dutch Bros describes their white coffee as a light earthy flavor with low acidity, making it an excellent choice for those who don’t particularly enjoy the strong taste of traditional coffee roasts.
Other White Drinks Available at Dutch Bros
White coffee is not the only white beverage available at Dutch bros, so if you don’t care for the purity of espresso, other great options are available.
- White Mocha Cold Brew: This is a great choice for fans of cold brew and those who enjoy the taste of mocha. It is a well-balanced coffee drink, sweetened with white chocolate and chocolate milk, perfect for those with a sweet tooth needing a caffeine dose.
- White Zombie or White Angel: Both these beverages are made with Dutch Bros’ signature white espresso, which offers a great introduction to white coffee. These tasty drinks are prepared with coffee, white chocolate, vanilla syrup, and half and half. The White Angel is slightly different as it comes with additional coconut syrup.
- Golden Eagle: The Golden Eagle is great for every season as it can come iced, hot, or a blend of the two. It is made with a base of espresso, caramel sauce, vanilla syrup, and half and half. It’s topped with whipped cream and an extra dose of caramel sauce.
- The Nutty Irishman: The name says it all. This is Dutch Bros’ unique version of an Irish coffee made with their nitro cold brew, Irish cream, and hazelnut syrup.
- White Coffee Cookie: If you want a slight caffeine kick and need a sweet snack, then Dutch Bros white coffee cookie is a great option. It is made with white espresso, chocolate macadamia nut syrup, chocolate sauce, and half and half. It is a perfect combination of earthy and sweet flavors with a hint of coffee.
Is Switching to White Coffee Beneficial to Your Health?
There are two stand-out benefits to white coffee: higher caffeine levels and antioxidants. White coffee contains up to 50% more caffeine than fully roasted coffee beans. Caffeine improves metabolism, elevates mood, and enhances alertness and athletic performance.
White coffee improves the production of stomach acid, which helps break down food to move easily through the gut. Green coffee naturally contains chlorogenic acid, which is a powerful antioxidant. This gets burnt off during the roasting process, but because white coffee is lightly roasted, a lot of the chlorogenic acid remains in the beans. Chlorogenic acid reduces the risk of diabetes, stimulates weight loss, and lowers blood pressure.
Where Can I Find Dutch Bros in America?
As of December 2022, there were 740 Dutch Bros coffee stores. Oregon has 155 of these stores, which makes up 21% of all their stores in the US. California has the second most stores, followed by Texas. If you are looking for a Dutch Bros white coffee fix near you, you can find the closest store, contact number, and opening hours here.
While white coffee can be interpreted differently around the world, Dutch Bros coffee is made from a lightly roasted bean. The result is an acidic, nutty, and light earthy flavor enjoyed in an espresso-based beverage. The quality of the bean, as well as the additives combined with the brewed coffee, will determine its flavor, and Dutch Bro’s offers more than just a white coffee espresso, so there is something for everyone to enjoy.
It’s important to remember that Dutch Bros white coffee also has a significantly higher caffeine content than their traditional roast, so if you are sensitive to caffeine, another beverage may be better for you.