Frosted coffee is a hugely popular Chick-fil-A offering that’s sweet, creamy, and caffeinated. But do you have to find a local restaurant to enjoy it? Of course not! With just a few simple ingredients, you can enjoy a delicious frozen drink that bursts with creamy flavor.
We’ll show you how to make frosted coffee at home using ingredients you probably already have on hand. It’s incredibly easy and makes a delightful afternoon treat. So skip the restaurant and head to your kitchen instead!
Homemade Frosted Coffee
- French press
- 8 ounces water
- 1.6 ounces coffee beans
- 2 cups French vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream optional
- Grind your coffee beans coarsely. Pour the grounds into your cold brew maker or French press. Add the cold water and let your cold brew steep for 16 hours on the counter or 18 in the refrigerator.
- Filter out the coffee grounds and pour your brewed coffee into the bowl of a high-speed blender.
- Add the ice cream and blend until your drink is the texture of a milkshake, about 2 minutes.
- Divide your frosted coffee between two tall glasses. Top with whipped cream if you’d like!
Frosted Coffee Recipe Tips & Variations
Now that you know you can skip the trip to Chick-fil-A, what are you waiting for? Here are a few simple tips to help you make the best possible frosted coffee.
This recipe only has two ingredients, ice cream and coffee, so choosing the right kind of ice cream will make a huge difference in the flavor of your drink. We like to use high-quality French vanilla ice cream to approximate the original drink’s flavor. You can use any brand or flavor you like, but make sure it’s something you would eat by itself. Try chocolate, hazelnut, or caramel ice cream if you like those flavors in your regular coffee!
For our recipe, we’re making cold brew. This slow-and-cold method of making coffee produces strong, slightly sweet coffee without a hint of bitterness. Even better, it makes cold coffee, which won’t melt your ice cream! If you want a faster method, feel free to substitute any kind of brewed coffee, but make sure you let it cool down to room temperature before you add it to the blender. If you pour hot coffee straight onto ice cream, you’ll end up with a melted mess — or an affogato!
There’s no limit to the fun toppings you can add to this drink. It’s delicious on its own, but you can always add whipped cream and chocolate chips, chocolate shavings, espresso powder, caramel sauce, chopped nuts, or anything else you can think of! Frosted coffee is a lot like a milkshake, so many classic milkshake toppings will be delicious.
Frosted coffee is creamy, rich, and perfectly sweet. We hope you’ve enjoyed learning how to make it at home! Make a quick batch of cold brew, blend it with ice cream, and revel in the delicious flavors. And why not experiment with an unusual ice cream flavor?
- Coffee Granita Recipe (Easy & Decadent)
- 15 Refreshing Summer Coffee Recipes
- 8 Creative Uses for Cold Brew Concentrate
Featured Image Credit: @rirri01, Unsplash